The Coat of Arms of Karlovac
The coat of arms of Karlovac was grantedby the charter of Emperor Joseph II. This removed the military community from the Krajina territory (the military frontier) and elevated it to the status of a free royal town in 1781. This meant that the town enjoyed special royal patronage and had the right to choose a town council and mayor.
In the top right-hand corner, we can see crossed anchors. These symbolise boats on the River Kupa, as the river was navigable in the past, and Karlovac was a significant trading centre, thanks to the river’s navigability. In the top left-hand corner, there is the historical Croatian emblem of red and white fields. A town, surrounded by walls and with two rivers in front of it, is depicted in the lower part of the coat of arms. This represents Karlovac, which was a fortress at the time the coat of arms was designed, and the rivers Korana and Kupa, which used to supply the moats with water. Above the town, there is a golden sun on the left and a silver moon with a human figure on the right. There is a small shield in the centre of the coat of arms with the initials of Joseph II (J II), the Austrian emperor who granted the charter. Above the coat of arms is a golden king's crown, and on the left and right are mermaids who hold the coat of arms in one hand and their golden hair in the other.
All of this is encircled with the inscription: "SIGILL.LIBER.ET REG.CIVITATIS CAROLOSTADIEN."